Don’t forget regular Tuesday runs continue, 6:50 PM from Kiwanis Pool. 5K and 11K options. Friday Run for the Beer at Breton Brewing, start time is flexible but finish around 6:30 to meet the group for beer.
1) Starting this Saturday there will be a run every Saturday morning from Dr. Luke’s, corner of Bentick and Prince St. Run start time 8:30. This Saturday is a special kick-off run to showcase and support the new Brooks Loop in Sydney’s south end. There will be a map at Dr. Luke’s at the start. The route will go up to the Baille And Trails, up the new branch trail to the Cossit Heights subdivision, to Rotary Drive, and back down the Greenlink Trails to Bentick St. and Dr. Luke’s to finish. To make a shorter run, you can drive to the trails.
At the finish of the run there will be some coffee provided for runners, and if you want you can take out a membership to support the Baille Ard Trails (hey - how about a Baille Ard Trails membership as a great green stocking stuffer for that hard-to-buy-for person on your list?)
2) The annual Ugly Sweater run is this Sunday, Dec 17th at Governor’s Restaurant. This run is a fundraiser for Transition House. Bring an unwrapped toy or 20$ donation. Register starting 9AM, run start 10AM. 5K route. Ugliest sweater is the winner, this is not about speed. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org if you want to stay for brunch afterwards.
3) Hark, did you hear!? There will be a new triathlon coming to our area Plan ahead by keeping the weekend of July 29th, 2018 open for the new Tri on the Mira, with plans for Olympic/Sprint/Tri-a-Tri + Junior events. Stay tuned and watch for the new facebook page. Watch for a learn-to-tri-swim course starting after Christmas.
This is a fantastic chance to do a triathlon after sleeping comfortably in your own bed with your 3 cats (well OK, the cats part is just me, but…). It’s also a great opportunity for those of you who have been on the edge about doing a tri to make the commitment and git’er’dun.
4) No excuse for getting fat on the holidays! There is a Boxing Day 5K fun run, in support of the Northside General Hospital Foundation. 30$, 60$ for families. Register starting 10AM, ground floor main entrance of Northside General Hospital. First 100 registrants get a pair of commemorative Stanfield’s boxer shorts with registration. Advanced registration by credit card through the hospital foundation, 902-794-5402
5) The Resolution Run is on again this year! No excuses, it’s not until the afternoon and it’s not a race. 5 or 10K run options. Tea and coffee provided, pot luck (bring your New Year’s Eve and holiday party leftovers). Great way to kick off the season, or to kick off 100runs100days? http://www.slowtwitch.com/Lifestyle/100_runs_in_100_days_-_a_challenge__4088.html
Meet in time for 1PM run start, Mira Rd. Firehall, 1757 George St. Great chance to sign up for CBRR for 2018 - make the commitment!
6) CB Roadrunners online signup is available at CBtrisports.com, on the right side of the page. New this year is a 50$ family membership (not available online - contact me in person)
7) The Crawling Crustacea master’s swimmers are well into another successful season. If you want to join, we have room for a few more people, so contact me if you’re interested.
8) don’t forget we have CBRR t-shirts for sale, great Xmas present for someone local who needs a little push to run, or for that Cape-Bretoner-at-Heart living away who loves to fly the colours. Contact me for details.
As you can see, there’s lots going on despite the short dark days and rapidly winterizing weather. No excuses! See you out on the roads.